10 Best Apps for Seniors to Make Their Lives Easier in 2021Here is a list of the best apps for seniors that can help them stay fit, connected, happy, and most importantly self-dependent.
Our Top picks
Here is the list of top apps for senior citizens to make their life easier.
Best apps for the elderly
The first on the list is the pill reminder app by Medisafe. It is one of the best apps for older adults to help them keep track of the number of pills taken, left, and due in the various hours of the day. Medisafe is used by millions to keep track of blood pressure, glucose, and other health parameters. It is one of the wholesome health apps for seniors that lets them share health parameters and their results with doctors easily.
The pill reminder for seniors provides its users with the appropriate tools, support, and information to take care of their medications the way they're supposed to. Besides, it also acts as a perfect companion for those who need a mobile organizer for vitamins, blood pressure meds, glucose level tracking, period tracking, and other health concerns.
Notable features of Medisafe
- Intuitive visual interface
- Easy-to-use and manage medication reminders
- Track blood pressure, weight, etc
- Customizable reminder sound
- A dedicated medication reminder list to see “what’s due today?”
- Refill reminders for medications
- Medication progress reports that can be shared with doctors or nurse
- Users may sync reminders with their smartwatch
iBP is one of the best phone apps for seniors as it helps to track and analyze blood pressure levels for its users. As one of the leading health apps for seniors, iBP color codes and graphically presents the gauged blood pressure levels in terms of low, normal, and high verticals. iBP retrieves the user’s blood pressure and weight data directly from their Withings account. There is no data entry required and the users can view this data anywhere using a web browser or a variety of mobile apps.
Notable features of iBP
- Option to transfer and sync user records across iOS and Android devices
- As one of the best apps for old people, it calculates Mean Arterial Pressure and Pulse Pressure
- The user can track one of their health parameters (blood glucose, stress level, medication dosage, exercise time, etc.)
- Multiple users can use the app at a time
- Multiple email addresses can be registered
- Customizable color ranges for different blood pressure levels
- Weight is calculated in kgs or lbs
Health is the number one priority for all senior citizens. As one of the free fitness apps for seniors, MyFitnessPal can help users to lose weight, tone up, get healthy, change their habits, or start a new diet. The app helps them track their calories and nutritional intake to make their lifestyle healthy. Amongst the good apps for seniors, MyFitnessPal helps its users to set fitness goals and develop a workout and food plan to help achieve them.
Notable Features of MyFitnessPal
- One of the best apps for senior adults, MyFitnessPal includes the biggest food database and a recipe importer to gain nutrition information for the recipes chosen
- Learn how to make healthier choices about the foods you eat
- The app automatically calculates the calories in different foods, meals, and recipes
- Track all nutrients, including calories, fat, protein, carbs, sugar, fiber, cholesterol, vitamins, and more
- Log water intake
- Amongst the free exercise apps for seniors, MyFitnessPal helps users to choose a goal and help change habits to achieve it
- One of the free exercise apps for seniors, it enables users to choose from more than 350 exercises
- The app allows the users to add friends and develop a community
Magnifying Glass + Flashlight
People tend to lose their eyesight with age and become dependent on others to read a paper, menu card, look at things in dim light, etc. As one of the best apps for older parents, Magnifying glass + Flashlight app helps senior citizens by providing them with the easiest Flashlight (LED Torch Light), Digital Magnifier, Restaurant Menu Reader, and Prescription Bottle Reader as and when they want.
Notable features of Magnifying Glass + Flashlight
- A restaurant menu reader to help seniors enjoy a meal
- As one of the best phone apps for seniors to use, it also includes a medicine bottle or prescription bottle reader
- The app helps seniors to easily read serial numbers from the back of devices like TVs, DVDs, refrigerators, etc
- High Contrast Mode on one of the top apps for seniors helps them see things clearly
- The users can magnify zoom from 1.0X – 5.0X
- Save captured pictures in the library
For any individual to stay healthy, it is necessary they stay happy. And, generally, senior citizens tend to stay the happiest while connecting with their kids, grandkids, extended family, friends, etc. As one of the best social media apps for seniors, Facebook Messenger enables its users to stay together and connected at all times and places. With options like unlimited text, voice, video calling, and group video chat, it is one of the top apps for seniors to download and use. The users may even receive or send money through the app.
Notable features of Facebook Messenger
- As one of the best social media apps for seniors, Facebook messenger allows its users to connect with their Instagram friends directly from the app
- The users may send messages that only last for a moment with its vanish mode
- The users may choose emojis of their choice
- The app allows its users to watch videos, TV shows, and movies with their friends over Video Chat and Rooms in real-time
- As one of the best social media apps for seniors, it helps keep users stay connected with friends and family
- Unlimited free text & phone calls
- Record and send voice and video messages
Personal Capital is one of the good apps for old people as it helps them manage and keep track of their investments easily. It smartly helps them manage personal finance. As one of the best phone apps for seniors, it efficiently helps them see all their accounts, including bank accounts, stocks, retirement funds, etc., in one place. With innovative features like the Retirement Planner, you can talk to a financial advisor.The app effectively helps senior citizens to take control of their finances.
Notable features of Personal Capital
- The app currently has over 2.8 million subscribers who use their free tools
- The user can manage their bank accounts, 401k, IRA, investments, stocks, and even debt, all on one dashboard
- The Cash Flow graph of one of the best apps for older parents allows them to demarcate their total income and total expenses across accounts
- The app helps its users to build, manage, and forecast their retirement through its Retirement Planner
- As one of the best apps for older adults, Personal Capital does not sell its users’ personal information
Pillboxie is one of the most useful apps for older people as it works as a classic medication reminder for its users. Trusted by thousands of people globally, Pillboxie is the easy way to remember medicines and their routines. Pillboxie is one of the best apps for senior citizens as it is easy to use and lets the users *visually* manage their meds. Scheduling a reminder for the same is also easy.
Notable features of Pillboxie
- Designed and developed by a registered nurse
- The users may schedule reminders in one of the best apps for older adults by dropping pills into a pillbox
- No network connection is required
- Pleasant and customizable reminder sounds make Pillboxie comfortable to use
- Tons of combinations of med types and colors
- See a list of what meds are "due today" in one of the best pill reminders for seniors apps and check them on the go
Senior people grow old by living and dealing with life. But as their age increases, their mindfulness tends to decrease. BrainHQ is one of the most efficient brain training apps for seniors with the most rigorous program for better brain health and the only one backed by more than 100 scientific papers showing benefits. As one of the best apps to improve memory, BrainHQ helps its users improve their brain function, from the most basic elements of perception to the most complex elements of memory, thinking, and decision-making.
Notable features of BrainHQ
- BrainHQ has proven its worth as one of the effective brain training apps for seniors in both laboratory studies, as well as in the daily lives of people
- The BrainHQ app allows its users to set and achieve their brain training goals
- Each exercise of one of the best apps to improve memory can be customized as per the users’ performance
- The training is designed to fit into the users’ life. They might train for just 5 minutes or do a complete workout in an hour, as per their choice.
Words with Friends 2
Words with Friends is one of the best game apps for seniors to help them become better and smarter than ever before. The app includes several innovative games like unscramble letters, train your brain, and indulge in a plethora of classic word games and crossword puzzles that let seniors expand their vocabulary. This one of the best game apps for seniors helps them show off their word game skills through its classic crossword games.
Notable features of Words with Friends 2
- It includes options for multiplayer word-cross games showdown with friends who love crossword puzzle
- One of the best game apps for seniors allows them to play their best tiles to create words and complete goals to earn keys and unlock exclusive collectibles with rewards
- The users may play against themed WordMasters to test and improve their spelling, vocabulary, and word skills
- As one of the best apps to improve memory, it enables its users to do anagrams, unscrambles letters, and improve their spelling skills, through its easy-to-play, limited-time crossword mini-game
- Customizable stickers, tile styles, and profile frames
Spotify is one of the best apps for the elderly as it enables them to easily listen to favorite songs and podcasts for free. When users listen to artists they love and enjoy music in Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, and many more languages on one of the best apps for senior citizens, they tend to feel happy and relaxed. Moreover, it lets the users build their biggest and the best music collection for ease of listening.
Notable features of Spotify
- The users may listen to their favorite song, artist, or album on one of the best phone apps for seniors
- The users may also listen to their favorite podcasts
- The users may make and share their playlists on one of the best apps for older adults
- The listeners can choose their preferred language for music
- The listeners shall find music for all moods, genre, and activities
Digital technology has changed the way society interacts, keeps itself informed, and how it finds companionship. Some unique barriers and challenges can worry many older people and stop them from adopting new technologies. But despite these problems, many seniors positively look at the technology and the benefits it can bring in. The above-stated list of some of the best apps for older parents will help them tread through these barriers with confidence. And once online, they can actively engage with the different types of content and activities, integrating them seamlessly into their lives, and even sentimentally.
We hope you like our report and found the perfect app for your needs. If you have any questions, or if you want to get your app reviewed, contact MobileAppDaily.
She is an avid writer of technology and trending mobile apps. When she is not busy updating you about the tech world, she spends time reading books and playing guitar.