10 Best Apps for Writers To make you a better writerFrom well-established authors or newbie writers, these writing apps will assist you to write better.
Our Top Picks
Technology is here to give us a hand with our daily tasks, including ‘manual labor,’ like writing articles, a speech, a project, or an essay. In consequence, writing apps have arisen to give us the chance to be more productive. If you want to make the best of your writing, keep reading and learn about the best writing apps.
Top Writing Apps You Need To Try In 2021
Drafts 4 - Best Mobile Writing App
Drafts 4 app works as a digital notepad you can carry on your phone, anywhere, anytime. Developed by Greg Peirce, this app allows you to export your notes to other apps for writing, tag and organize your notes, and adjust the interface to your preferences. It’s available only for iOS.
Notable Features of Drafts 4 as one of the best writing apps
- An additional set of widgets with better-shared extension options
- Drafts provide its users with enhanced Automation
- You can customize your theme, app icon and so much more
Write - Best Mobile Writing App
A beautiful app designed for iOS, Android, and Mac that helps you take notes and keep a daily journal. It has an award-winning design, which will be easy to find that old note you took for your speech some days ago. You can use the touch screen feature you write using a stylus or your finger. All the tools like draw, erase, select, insert space, etc. are available in the wonderful app.
Notable Features of Write as one of the best creative writing apps
- Editing tools
- Features of Passcode and FingerPrint for security
- Entries via typing and stylus.
OmniOutliner 2 - Best Apps for Writing
Until recently, OmniOutliner 2 was compatible just with Mac, but now you can also use it on your iPhone. Among its features, it allows you to create files, work in the cloud, manage files better and share files between devices. You can also choose from hundreds of templates and designs available to the designer. The app supports all the commonly used keyboard shortcuts.
Notable Features of OmniOutliner as one of the best writing apps
- Users can easily split the imported text into various separate sections
- Option to quickly navigate through sections using the binder sidebar
- You can track your ideas using labels or status, see the full picture.
- Flawless file sharing
- Work in the cloud.
Quip - Best Free Writing Apps
One of the great apps to take quick notes, Quip is there for you whenever you need to write an elaborate document. It is available for Mac and PC, and you can carry it on your Android or iOS devices. Also, users can use free tools like plagiarism checker for checking if the content is copied.
Quip has also been featured in our Best Note Taking Apps.
Notable Features of Quip as one of the best writing apps
- Full-featured spreadsheets that support more than 400 functions
- Options for real-time chat and messaging are integrated into the app
- It provides the comfort of organizing task lists for home
JotterPad - The good writing apps
This writing app allows you to export to PDF or DOCX and use the files on your computer. It’s free, but with a payment, you can unlock more features. Some consider this as one of the good writing apps available for Android users.
Notable Features of JotterPad as one of the best writing apps
- It offers a built-in dictionary for searching for accurate words
- It comes with the option to connect with Google Drive and Dropbox to support offline writing
- The app includes dark themes, phrase searches, Markdowns, snapshots and so much more
iA Writer - Best Writing App
iA Writer is one of the apps with outstanding compatibility: it can work in iOS and Android. The interface is easy to use and has a good set of features. With this app, you can write an idea, a paper, a speech, whatever you need, whenever you need it.
iA Writer has also been featured in our Best Apps for Writing Essays.
Notable Features of iA Writer as one of the best writing apps
- It includes an inverted light-on-dark mode
- The app follows no custom file format or database
- It creates a clean, simple, and distraction-free writing environment for the user
Editorial - Best Writing App
Editorial’s an app for professionals and frequently thought of as the best writing applications for the iPhone. The interface is user-friendly and allows synchronization with Dropbox accounts. It is only compatible with iOS.
Notable Features of Editorial as one of the best creative writing apps
- The app comes with an In-App Browser feature
- The extended keyboard was specifically designed for writing Markdown
- Snippets can now include dynamic text such as the current date and clipboard contents
Grammarly is another useful tool to enhance your writing. It keeps track of writing statistics and even checks your emails. For times, when you don’t feel too productive and need something written, you can hire a service like write my speech to get a good result. But if you need someone to check spellings in your write ups, go with Grammarly, a great grammar check available for Android and iOS.
Notable features of Grammarly as one of the best writing apps
- Edit and correct the phrasing, punctuation, word choice, etc
- Enjoy light and dark themes
- Get spelling check and proofreading features
- Check and keep track of writing statistics
Google Docs - Best Writing App
Google has a tool for everything, Google Docs is here to help you write and edit a document wherever you need to. It also allows you to create collective files with your teammates. This is a great assistant that will help you in your writing process by doing live editing and grammar check.
Notable Features of Google Docs as one of the best apps for writing
- Users can add and respond to comments in the document
- Option to share and collaborate in the same document at the same time
- You can easily research it, right in Docs with the Explore feature
Microsoft Word - Best Writing App
Many times the classic is the right answer, and let’s face it: you can’t go wrong with Microsoft Word. You can use it on your Mac or PC, and also on your Android or iOS, with the functions and interface you are most familiar with.
Notable Features of Microsoft Word as one of the best writing apps
- Editor's version of history allows you to view earlier drafts
- Option to read letters, docs, PDFs, and scripts with the Reading View
- Users can share files and collaborate with just a few taps
Ulysses - Best Writing App
One of the best apps for writers for an iPad, mainly because it offers a satisfying writing experience with its clear interface. This is a very simple and useful writing tool, where users can simply annotate the text. You can even use it online as it provides a wide range of compatibility.
Notable Features of Ulysses as one of the best writing apps
- It is a markup-based and distraction-free editor
- Users can manage projects of all kinds and sizes from novels to study notes
- Option to convert your text into PDFs, Word documents, and even eBooks
Choosing a top writing app is a very personal decision that will depend on aspects like if you need to share your files, how often do you write, how long are your texts, and if you do it professionally. Those answers will be the best guide to find the right app.
We hope that the above-mentioned apps for writing will turn out to be of great help for aspiring writers or for someone who is just looking to write notes with ease. In case you still have some questions regarding the features offered by any writing app, or you want to get your app reviewed, you can get in touch with MobileAppDaily.
She is an avid writer of technology and trending mobile apps. When she is not busy updating you about the tech world, she spends time reading books and playing guitar.