iOS 14.5 is out and Apple has made the most of it. The biggest update since the launch of iOS 14, 14.5 puts a lot of features from testing to practice. After a series of beta testings, the update was finally launched on 26th April for iPhones and iPads users around the world.
What is new in iOS 14.5?
Update 14.5 is a major one for iOS users. The system has introduced updates keeping in mind the special concern for the ongoing pandemic and life affected by it. It's noteworthy that the company is not done with the iOS 14 branches yet. Sources show that beta testings are going on for update 14.6 already. Now, let us see what iOS 14.5 brings for its users.
Unlock your iPhone with Apple Watch
From the 14.5 updates, iPhone users will be able to safely unlock their iPhones via their Apple smartwatches while wearing masks. When the Apple Watch is on the user’s wrist, unlocked and close to the iPhone, the user can glance towards the iPhone and it will give haptic feedback, which will confirm that the device has been unlocked. Users using iPhone X are later models with Apple watch series 3 or later watches can use this amazing unlock feature.
Unlike before, now Siri doesn't come with a default language. Now the users will have to select a voice for Siri while setting up their device for the first time. The English language users will also get many more voice options for Siri. These new Siri voices use Neutral Text-to-Speech technology giving much more control than before. This also works in line with the company's vision of promoting diversity and inclusion with its product’s. Now Siri will be much more integrated with various instructions related to hand-free operation, voice search and voice commands.
Siri also comes with Facetime capacities, which makes it easier to initiate calls with multiple contacts or contact anyone from the group. With incoming messages, Siri will be able to announce incoming calls through Airpods and Beats headphones.
Mory Privacy Control
App tracking requires apps to get permission from the user before tracking the data across the app or web. Apps can ask users for permissions, and in settings, users will be able to see which app is asking for permission.
Use New Emojis
Emojis are ever-growing and the same is the case with the latest iOS update. The 14.5 update offers various new emojis and updates a few existing ones. Now you have different skin tones for a couple's emojis. Additional emojis are also introduced like face exhaling, face with spiral eyes, face in clouds, heart in fire, mending heart, a woman with a beard, and more.
Report an accident on Maps
Now iOS users can safely and easily report an accident, hazard, or speed check on their route by telling it to Siri. This is designed to keep the driver hands-free and let him focus on the road. Instances can also be recorded by pressing “Report an issue” in Maps. Also, you can share your ETA with your friends you are traveling to. Carplay users can send their ETA via Siri, without taking their eyes off the road.
iOS 14.5 update works with AirTags, which is a new and very useful offering by Apple. With airbags, you can find your keys, wallet, backpack, and other items just by Find My App on your iPhones.
Now iPhones users can sort by title, priority, due date, or creation date, and offers the option to print reminder lists.
AirPlay 2 support for Fitness+
Earlier, the users of Apple’s new fitness plan could use the service on phones, pads, or Apple TV. But with the latest update, now the fitness services can be streamed from iPhones and iPads via AirPlay 2.
Game controlled support
With the latest update, you can sync your Xbox Series X/S or PlayStation 5 game controller to your iPhone or iPad.
Support for Dual-SIM 5G
Now the dual SIM phone users can use 5G globally and both sims will support full 5G speed.
iOS 14.5 release notes
The full release notes for iOS 14.5 are as follows:
Unlock iPhone with Apple Watch
- Ability to unlock your iPhone X and later with Apple Watch Series 3 and later when you attempt to use Face ID while wearing a face mask
AirTag and Find My
- Support for AirTag to keep track of and find your important items like your keys, wallet, backpack, and more, privately and securely in the Find My app
- Precision Finding uses visual, audible, and haptic feedback to guide you directly to your nearby AirTag using Ultra-Wideband provided by the U1 chip on iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 models
- AirTag can be located by playing a sound via the built-in speaker
- The Find My network with hundreds of millions of devices can help you find your AirTag, even when it isn’t nearby
- Lost Mode notifies you when your AirTag is found, and you can enter a phone number where you can be contacted
- Support for separate skin tones for each individual in all variations of the couple kissing emoji and couple with heart emoji
- New face emojis, heart emojis, a woman with a beard emoji
- Siri now includes more diverse voice options
- Incoming calls can be announced with Siri, including who is calling, when you’re wearing your AirPods or compatible Beats headphones, and you can answer hands-free
- Group FaceTime calls are supported by asking Siri to FaceTime a list of contacts or a group name from Messages
- Emergency contacts can be called by asking Siri
- App Tracking Transparency lets you control which apps are allowed to track your activity across other companies’ apps and websites for ads or sharing with data brokers
- Share your favorite lyrics using Messages, Facebook, and Instagram Stories, and subscribers can play the snippet in Messages without leaving the conversation
- City charts showcase what’s popular in over 100 cities from all over the world
- Podcasts Show Pages are redesigned to make it easier to start listening
- Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your Library for quick access
- Download behavior and notification settings can be customized on a show-by-show basis
- Top Charts and popular categories in Search help you discover new shows
- Dual-SIM support enables 5G connectivity on the line that’s using cellular data on iPhone 12 models
- Smart Data Mode improvements further optimize your experience on 5G networks for better battery life and data usage on iPhone 12 models
- 5G international roaming enabled on iPhone 12 models
- Redesigned News+ tab enables Apple News+ subscribers to quickly find, download, and manage magazine and newspaper issues
- All-new search experience that helps you find relevant topics, channels, and stories
- Accidents, hazards, or speed checks along your route can be reported by telling Siri on your iPhone or CarPlay
- Estimated time of arrival (ETA) can be shared when cycling or walking, in addition to driving, by asking Siri or tapping on the route card at the bottom of the screen, then tapping Share ETA
- Ability to sort reminders by Title, Priority, Due Date, or Creation date
- Option to print your reminder lists
- Translation playback speed can be adjusted by long-pressing the play button
- Xbox Series X S Wireless Controller or Sony PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller support
- Ability to stream audio and video content from Apple Fitness workouts to AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and devices
- ETA in Apple Maps can be easily shared while driving with new Siri or keyboard controls in CarPlay
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Messages at the bottom of the thread may be hidden by the keyboard under certain circumstances
- Deleted messages may still appear in Spotlight search
- Messages may persistently fail to send texts in some threads
- Mail would not load new emails for some users until restarting the device
- Call blocking and identification section may not appear in Phone settings
- iCloud Tabs may not appear in Safari
- iCloud Keychain could be prevented from turning off
- Reminders created via Siri may be unintentionally set for early morning hours
- Battery health reporting system will recalibrate maximum battery capacity and peak performance capability on iPhone 11 models to address inaccurate estimates of battery health reporting for some users (https://support.apple.com/HT212247)
- Optimization to reduce the appearance of a dim glow that may appear at reduced brightness levels with black backgrounds on iPhone 12 models
- AirPods audio routing to an incorrect device for Automatic Switching
- AirPods Automatic Switching notifications might be missing or duplicated
- For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
How to get iOS 14.5 update?
It is as simple as updating any OS. Open the Settings, tap on General, and then Software updates. After installing the update, restart the device manually. When the device is turned, check for applied updates.
So these are the top updates and new features offered by Apple in their latest 14.5 iOS updates. I think this update contains a lot of new and useful features and has also understood the user life during the Pandemic. The update has made the devices safer and well-integrated in their lives. With the 14.6 updates already under testing, one can only imagine when 14.6 will be scheduled to launch for the entire world to use. Till then, 14.5 is the best and the safest way to browse your iPhones.
If you like such articles and want to know what are the best iOS development companies for 2021, or if you are a product owner and want to get your app reviewed, get in touch with MobileAppDaily Studio.
Manish Content Strategist
With a mixture of literature, cinema, and photography, Manish is mostly traveling. When he is not, he is probably writing another tech news for you!
Want To Hire The Best Service Provider? MobileAppDaily will help you explore the best service providers depending on your vision, budget, project requirements and industry. Get in touch and create a list of best-suited companies for your needs.