I am one of those 90’s kids who used to come back from school with excitement to put MTV on to dance and dub the new songs. I still remember the Selena Gomez’s song from Wizard of Waverly place that my sister used to sing and perform. However, the case with today’s teens is entirely different as they got smartphones in their hand. While scrolling through my Instagram, I went through some Musical.ly videos made by teens. Out of curiosity I dug into the app and asked a few teens around me about the new music video making app. Musical.ly app is the new social media buzz, but for sharing dubbed musical videos. The app allows the users to dubbed their favorite song while performing a dance move or acting accordingly.
Musical.ly gives today's teen an opportunity to show their moves on the popular songs. Where some people use Musical.ly to flaunt their choreography on songs while others use it to make funny videos. Most of the videos that I have found during this article was lip synchronizing with the popular songs. So, if you are like me who haven't interacted with the Musical.ly app yet then here is my first try from which you can learn how to record a video for Musical.ly.
1. Install and Open the Musical.ly, the app is available on both iOS and Android, go and install the app from the respective app stores. On Android, it requires 62 MB of storage to get installed. Once you install the app, just hit the open button, and you will see the Musical.ly landing page.
2. Now, the app will start showing you the videos from other ‘musers’ yes that’s what they are calling themselves. You will see two tabs at the top saying ‘For You,’and ‘Follow.’ In the For You tab, you will see the popular videos that have been featured by Musical.ly. These Musical.ly videos could be from all time popular musers on the app with a large number of followers. The other tab is the ‘Follow’’ in that you will see the videos created by the musers you are following on the app.
3. To make your own video, you have press the + sign given at the bottom of the screen. This will bring up the filming interface of the app.
4. Now, you will see that the Musical.ly app has launched the camera and there are multiple options including switching the camera, timer, and effects.
5. Click on the ‘Pick a sound’ option on the window, and it will open the music library.
6. Musical.ly music library will show the songs divided into different genre including trending, comedy, summer or #challenge. Beneath these genres, there are three tabs called ‘Hot Songs,’ ‘My Favourites,’ and ‘My Sounds.’ In ‘Hot songs’ you will find the trending music, your personally saved music will be stored in ‘'My Favourite,’ and My Songs’ will display the music saved on your phone.
7. Select the song, or you can also search it in the search tab at the top.
8. Now you have to trim the music, remember you can make music video for Musical.ly only between 3-15 seconds. Here you need to cut the desired part of the music you want to make a Musical.ly video of.
By default, the starting point of the music is set to the beginning.
Drag the scissor-shaped icon to the right side of the screen
Mark the beginning and the ending of the music to trim the song.
When you are done click the red checkbox to save the changes.
9. Your music is ready, and now you need to shoot the film. Focus the camera on the place where you want to record the video, or you can also flip the camera for selfie mode. You can also use the following tools while recording the video
10. Now, hold the red circle given at the bottom it will start recording your video. The video should lie between 3 to 15 seconds.
11. In case you aren't happy with your Musical.ly video and want to start again when you can delete it by tapping the X button at the upper right corner. You will get the options, Reshoot, Exit or Cancel to choose from.
12. Once you are done with the video, click the red check at the right bottom of the screen to move to the editing page.
13. Musical.ly provides a post-video editor to add some effects to your video. You can change the audio or adjust the music volume and the starting & ending point of the song. Besides, you can also add some filters along with the time effect to the video if you want to.
14. Once the editing is done save the Musical.ly video and heads toward posting it. In this window, you need to write the description including the hashtag for your video.
15. Finally, post the video by tapping the red button on the bottom right corner of the screen.
You can also share the Musical.ly video on different social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram.
Akash Singh Chauhan is a senior writer at MobileAppDaily and he mainly covers all the latest happenings and tweaks in mobile app technology. Being an Engineering graduate he is always compelled to the technology and tries to discover new trends in the tech world. Along with any tech news he also never misses a single episode of ‘Dragon Ball’.Follow