Getting started on Instagram? You must be having lots of queries, right? Don’t worry. When I started using Instagram, I too got confused about a lot of things. I had no idea, how to upload a video or even a photograph. I found it a little bit difficult as compared to Facebook. However, gradually I learn things, and now I know how to access Instagram effortlessly.
While using Instagram today, I thought to give some Instagram tips for beginners. So, if you are a beginner then, I have drafted this write-up for you only. ?Let’s proceed further without wasting any time.
1. Instagram Account Set Up
Instagram was initiated as a mobile app for Android and iOS. Though, it has lately started its web edition too. However, after downloading it from Appstore or Playstore, it is necessary to signup and create your account. You have three options to do it:
- Email id
- Phone number
- Facebook account
Once the account is created, you need to set up it by following people, add a profile picture, and bio. I will tell you this process later, but before that understand the Menu bar. It consists of five tabs, including Profile, Activity, Camera, Search, and Home.
Home: It is the first icon and with this icon, you can go to the home screen of Instagram Feed. Here, you can see the newly uploaded photos or videos from the people you follow.
Search: With this option, you can search tags, people or anything that seems interesting to you. It even displays trending posts.
Camera: This icon helps you to upload your videos and photos on Instagram. It is also possible to capture the live photo or post it from the gallery.
Activity: This is basically the notification center of Instagram. Here, you can see the notifications. Moreover, this tab even allows you to stalk people.
Profile: It enables you to edit your profile. With this, you can even change the settings of your account.
2. Add or Edit Profile Picture
To edit or add a picture of your Instagram account, you need to follow these steps:
- Tap on Profile.
- Then, tap “Edit your profile”
- Finally, click on “Change Photo.”
Note: You can even import the picture from Twitter or Facebook.
3. Add Name, Bio, and Phone Number
Although, none of them is necessary, except the name. But, it is suggested to update all these things otherwise your profile will look fake and vague. ?In “Edit Profile” option, you can do these following things:
- Add your Name.
- Change your username (not more than 30 characters).
- Add bio or an external website (only 150 characters).
- Email Id and Phone Number.
4. Search People
Searching people and following them is quite simple on Instagram. In order to do so, you just need to follow these steps:
- First, go to the Profile icon.
- Tap on Add icon.
Moreover, if you wish to follow the celebrities or brands, tap the Search tab. Then, find your favorite beings over there. In case, you are thinking, how will people get to know that you are on Instagram? The answer is, when you start following people, they will get the notifications.
5. Like and Comment on Instagram
I have faced this issue when I was a beginner in Instagram. Instagram provides a heart symbol to like a photo. When you will start using Instagram, you find the below-mentioned icons:
- Heart for Like
- Arrow for Direct Message
- Bubble for Comment
- Save Icon
To like anything, you can tap on heart symbol. Once you do it, it will turn red. If you want to comment on the photo, click on bubble icon, situated next to heart icon.
Note: You can double tap on the photo to like it.
6. Post Photo or Video
Now, it’s time to post a video or photo of your own. Follow these steps and post whatever you want:
- Go to the camera icon, located in the bottom of the navigation bar.
- Take a photo or video to upload it from the gallery.
- Click on Next at the top right corner.
- The next step is to Edit and apply the filter.
- After this, click on Next.
7. Make Instagram Account Private
When you just start an account on Instagram, your profile is public. Anyone can easily see your photos, as well as videos. But, you can make it private. Once you do so, only your followers can see your posts. To make it private, follow these steps:
- First, go to your profile.
- Tap the three spots situated at the upper right corner.
- Under account settings, click on "Private Account", in order to activate it.
8. Create Story
It is a new thing of social media. Started by Snapchat, this feature is now available in Instagram, Facebook Messenger, and WhatsApp as well. These stories disappear after 24 hours. To create your story on Instagram, follow these steps:
- Tap the symbol "Your Story" on Instagram’s home screen, over your feed.
- Click on your photograph.
- Utilize stickers, content, and doodles to improve your photograph.
- When you are done, go to arrow symbol to add it to your story.
9. Send Direct Message
To begin with a direct message on Instagram:
- Go to the home screen of Instagram.
- Click on arrow icon situated at the right corner.
- Move to New Message and choose the person you want to send a message.
- After writing the message, click on Enter.
10. Zoom Instagram Photo
This is one of the recent features of Instagram. It allows you to zoom the pictures in a similar manner to your phone gallery. ?In doing so, hold the photo and zoom across the screen.
I hope you liked this beginners guide and all set to get started with Instagram. There is more to it, but once you start using it, you will learn other things gradually.
You may also like: