There are many entrepreneurs who are looking forward to establishing a mobile presence for their businesses. If you also belong to this category then you must decide whether you want to create a native mobile app or a mobile-optimized website.
There are some factors such as budget, target audience, the objective of the business and lastly, required features should be considered. Moreover, web apps also enable you to take advantage of the mobile revolution.
This blog contains the pros and cons of native apps, web apps and mobile websites which will help you to choose the best one for your brand.
The native mobile app is coded in a specific programming language and can work without internet connectivity.
- Such apps perform faster on the device because they work with the smartphone's built-in features.
- These apps play a vital role in promoting better user engagement with longer user sessions.
- This app can use inbuilt features of the device such as a camera and accessing the GPS settings of the device etc.
- It offers the highest security, making it impossible for hackers to steal important data from the device.
- The cost involved in developing the app is far higher and the maintenance cost is also high because a developer is required to maintain several code bases so as to make the app compatible with numerous devices.
- Due to the use of different versions of the app, it makes it difficult to provide regular support and updates.
Mobile Optimized Website
A website optimized for mobile devices enables the user to easily read and navigate on the small screens of smartphones.
- There is no need to create anything new or extended functionality for mobile users.
- Improve the user experience as the web page is upgraded for viewing on a mobile phone.
- A mobile website can reach more people as it can be easily found via search engines.
- A mobile site can be less efficient and also less focused on carrying out the required function because of so many clutter.
- The website built in Flash requires a lot of amendments for making it viewable on Apple devices.
Web applications are defined as programs that users can interact with the help of their web browsers.
- Web apps use the same code base for multiple platforms and thus, are easy to maintain.
- Such apps do not need to be approved by the app marketplace, which means they can be released as per the preference of the developer.
- A web application can be manipulated to make it compatible with any mobile device.
- There is no guarantee of safety and security of the app
- Web apps offer limited functionality and performance
So these were some of the pros and cons of native apps, mobile-optimized websites and web apps, that will help you in opting the best platform for your app.
Tanya Editor In Chief
She is a content marketer and has more than five years of experience in IoT, blockchain, Web, and mobile development. In all these years, she closely followed the app development, and now she writes about the existing and the upcoming mobile app technologies. Her essence is more like a ballet dancer.